Friday, August 14, 2009

Understanding Childhood Obesity


Being a mother started while I was pregnant. The moment that blue cross showed up on the pregnancy test confirming it was true everything changed. As the actuality of the it all settled in I knew I ultimately faced the challenge that all parents face: What are the best decisions for the well being of my child? Will I be able to follow through with them? Will I be a good enough parent for my baby?
In thinking about the welfare of my child I had to make decisions that always were to his benefit. I had to think of him every moment of every day. It was my responsibility that I provided an environment that was healthy, safe and secure. I made changes and sacrifices.
All changes were well worth it, I have a beautiful healthy baby boy. Controlling his eating habits now is easy. He doesn't eat anything unless we give it to him. However in years to come, I will not have all that control, and I will have to hope my son has the right knowledge to eat and exercise right so he may stay healthy.
Childhood obesity is an ever growing epidemic worldwide.
A report done in 2004 reported 16% of children between the ages of 6 and 11 were overweight and 15% of children were at risk for becoming obese. This makes up over 9 million children in America. In the UK the Department of Health announced that 80% of the country's four to ten year olds were weighed and measured in 2006-and then in 2007 -there was an increase of 32 per cent on the previous year of the number of children with obesity. A new study from Australia says that 1 in 5 Australian pre-school children are fat.
The statistics can not and should not be ignored. Being healthy starts with the home. Children who are obese have a 70% greater chance of being obese when they are adults. That percentage increases to 80% if both the parents of the child are obese. For our world to be healthy they need the right education and resources.
The physical and emotional affects of childhood obesity are deadly serious. These children are not being given the chance to be care-free children. It is time to start to help fight for these children and their families. Everyone deserves to be healthy.
Here is how you can help with the fight against childhood obesity: visit the website below
www.AmericanHomeRescue.org/ At American Home Rescue it is our goal to help educate and provide for those who are suffering from childhood obesity. If you donate $50.00 to help those children who don't have any resources for a healthy life, you will receive $300.00 worth of FREE gas. That is $25.00 of FREE gas every month!!! So you help a child in need, and we help you with your gas.
It is a small price to pay to ultimately save a child's life. It is our responsibility as parents to provide for our children. It is our duty to ensure that they are healthy and safe. As a mom I feel it is my duty to not only help my children, but help all children. I hope you feel the same way.
*P.S. Your Donation is Tax Deductible!!!*

2 comments:

  1. I do agree, we should not ignore these issues with childhood obesity. I think it is great what you are doing to help these children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather: You did a great job in setting up your blog and now that you are a mother too, you have been chosen by God to help children in their battle against obesity. Go Sister Go
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete